Simple Tips To Avoid Sunburn
We have to be aware of the damaging effects of the sun to our skin and health especially during the summer months where the heat of the sun is extreme. Too much of the ultraviolet rays absorbed by our skin could lead to skin cancer. Skin cancer is one of the most common cancers especially in Northern Ireland. In fact, sun exposure accounts for 28% of the diagnosed cancer cases today.
- Before going outside or outdoors, apply a sunscreen and regularly apply sunscreen when staying outdoors for longer duration.
- Sun Protection Factor or SPF should be at least 15 in order to guarantee a better sunscreen. The higher the sun protection factor, the higher the degree of protection.
- Always check the expiration date of the sunscreen.
- Other activities such as swimming can remove sunscreen so it is necessary to reapply after such activities.
- Wear clothes that cover almost everything during the summer days.
- Wear a hat especially those with wide brim and flap at the back of the neck in order to attain wider protection.
- Wear clothes that are lightweight and are light color.
- Some clothes are designed for sun protection. This type of clothing is really beneficial especially for the children.
- Try to avoid the direct heat of the sun and stay in the shade especially during the hottest part of the day, which is around 1am up to 3pm.
- You can also set up your own shade if trees are not present around such as beach tents, parasols, and many more.
- It is better to wear sunglasses or shades during summer days to avoid hurting your eyes with excessive brightness from the sun.
- It is nice to establish the habit of wearing sunglasses especially for the children.
- Wear shades that have the correct label especially those with protection from AVB and UVA.
- Protective shades and protective glasses protect us from the sun and are also stylish accessories during the summer months.
Avoid Citrus Products
- Avoid citrus products to come in contact with the skin because there is a sunburn condition known as phytophotodermatitis.
- Always wash hands after handling citrus products because sunburn occurs easily when the heat of the sun hits the skin that came in contact with citrus products.
Things To Do When Sunburn Is Acquired
- Instantly come to a shaded area after feeling or noticing sunburn.
- Wash or bath the area with sunburn with cool water and pat it dry.
- Apply medication or an after-sun lotion such as calamine in order to gain relief.
- If you have sunburn, you should avoid wearing tight clothing.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you do not suffer from sunburn.
- Get professional advice from a doctor when blistering is already present.
Now, you do not have to worry too much now because skin cancer can be prevented. Just follow the provided tips on how to avoid sunburn and other medical conditions caused by the heat of the sun.